Saturday, January 20, 2007

Give-Up!

"Give Up!" ..
"Totally Give Up!" ..
Mr. Honcho's favourite line. He says this maybe, let me count.. give up! hajar times a day. Show him Limit's latest Tissot watch or Astro's newest iPod, you know what he's going to say. Or for that matter even when he sees monkey's digestive residual at the edge of the corridor while walking to the bog once ..hmmm.. maybe in a couple of days.. you again know what's he's going to say.. "Give Up!" ..
"Give Up!" .. This is Mr. Honcho, the "give up" guy of the great Ganga 4th wing. Mr. Honcho used to be called "the walking encyclopaedia" not so long ago. They stopped calling him so when they gave up on Mr. Honcho, or rather Mr. Honcho gave up in life. It's a sad story. Mr. Honcho was almost in tears when he came upto me one day and told me about how unfaithful "females" are.
"Yaar ladkiyan give up hoti hai!"
Ahem.. Mr. Honcho and "females" ??! I never knew Mr. Honcho had a girl. But you never know what people hide beneath their eyebrows. Anyways, I had to console him in the same old 'bada-bhai' fashion..
"Ek ladki gayi to kya hua Honcho.. hazaroon aa jaayengi.. "
Given the sentimentality in the air... all oozing out of Mr. Honcho's randhra(orifices), I couldn't stop imagining myself in his situation and I was amazed how well it fit me. Sad but true. But I never wept. Mr. Honcho made me weep that day.. Three cheers to Mr. Honcho..
"Yaar ladkiyan totally give up hoti hai".
It was me saying it this time. As the pain trickled down from my heart down to my solar plexus, I recollected all the beautiful moments I spent with my lady angel and how mercilessly she sent me a rakhi, by post, with beautiful lines of poetry written in ink of emotionality..
"pyaare bhaiyya..."
Give Up! It was as if my heart was trying to pop out of my chest and die bouncing on the floor like a fish thrown out of water.
"Honcho tu ne mujhe rula diya yaar.. "
I don't remember much of what followed that day.. I am not sure who was consoling whom in the night. But for the first time I established a dil ka connection with Mr. Honcho.

Mr. Honcho is a patient listener and I like that. I bet nobody would listen to my 'long and sad' stories for free. Not only did Mr.Honcho listen to me for free, he would always, in the end, shoot deep and thought-provoking questions that almost always proved that I had been an hassole.
"Honcho.. sahi sawaal poochta hai be tu.. "
That is why I never felt relieved sharing my stories with Honcho. But that never made me tell him lesser stories though.
"Uske birthday pe tum ne pen bheja? Give Up! Woh rakhi nahin to kya phool bhejegi tujhe.."
Mr.Honcho was right. I never had the 'kala' to charm a girl. Honcho says, I am a selfish, unromantic, idiotic and a "give up" character. Wait a minute! Honcho infact abused me. Nevermind. Mr.Honcho must be right anyway! And how does it matter now that I have no girl to charm anymore.
"Honcho.. main ne decide kar liya hai.. Main aajse koi ladki ke peche nahin joonga.. Yaar naseeb mein arranged marriage hi likha hai.. ye sab cheezon se kya milega.. ?" ..
Honcho retorts, "Tere liye wohi sahi hai.."
Give-Up! The transition was smooth and fantastic. In the first year I had the impression that Honcho was a dumb guy, good for nothing. From being such an idiot in my opinion to becoming my sole funda-god and the way he turned it around was amazing. In three years he indeed became a 'pseud guy'. Co-ord in Shaastra, Saarang to an intern in Switzerland to infinite contis in India and abroad, you would feel an itch in your throat calling him the 'Give Up' guy now. The news that Honcho had a girlfriend in Bangalore was doing rounds in the campus. I never really bothered to ask him because I knew Honcho had "given-up" on girls long ago, the day he wept in my room to be precise.

Honcho's birthday followed soon.
"Tera 21st birthday main kabhi nahin bhoolonga.. "
Honcho got a gift from Bangalore on his birthday. He wasn't in his room when I collected it on his behalf.
Guess what the sender's address was!

Deepika N
#220, 5th Main
Rajajinagar
Bangalore.

Givv-Aaaap!
I could not believe my eyes for a moment. I thought Deepika probably sent the parcel to a wrong room number. But I could see no reason why she should send me a parcel now. Honcho's birthday and a parcel to me makes no sense.
"Bhaad mein jaaye etiquettes.."
I teared open the parcel. The first thing I saw was a greeting card. I opened the card. "Love you hamesha.." in beautiful curvy strokes and I was like a flake of titanic that kept sinking for ever. How could Honcho do this to me? Hocho stole my girlfriend from underneath my banls!
"Kya acting kiya saale ne mere saath.. "

Honcho was all ready to explain everything to me. It did not matter to me anymore. Deepika was never meant for me anyway. But what pinched me in the heart were the chronicles of the give-up guy of our wing.

I am the newly crowned "Give Up" guy of the great Ganga 4th wing.
Give-Up!


PS: The wing remains.. forever.
~

(Not a true story.. )

4 comments:

Sumesh said...

Give uppp!
anyways I know who is Mr. Honcho. You wanna confirm that or should I approach your wing-mates?

Harish Suryanarayana said...

Who is Mr. Honcho ? Who is Deepika ? Who ? Who ? Congrats on the Gatech crack maan . Killer !

Muralidhar said...

@harish..

entirely cooked up story.. any resemblance to person living or dead is purely coincidental.. :D

Unknown said...

Sacchi..??!! :o :o