Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Please answer...

Going through the first few pages of a book on Neural Networks, I felt a surge of discomforting thoughts in my plexus. Thinking about what neuralcomputers have set out to achieve, I could not further imagine what the world would be like when they were ready. Speculations and speculations. That would indeed take us to the beginning of another civilization. We would be in a different role though, totally out-of-civilization. The role of 'a-one-who-controls', the Almighty. The machines shall construct an universe around themselves(why not?) and start questioning things about it(If I can define an universe as the biggest pattern that an intellect can conceive of). They would start thinking and asking. Let's somehow make an assumption that they cannot feel our presence, rather we design them in such a fashion. They will certainly go nuts about why and from where they came into existence. Given that they are ideal pattern recognizing machines, they would start making sense of things that they 'see' and come up with theories and ideas. They would create knowledge, no matter how big they would, it invariably has to be a subset of the human knowledge. The machines would however be unaware of the fact that they have set out to achieve someone else's purpose, never knowing whose. That would be fantastic, why not? We humans would bask in admiration of our own intelligence and creativity. If it happens some day ... as I started with. But what makes me go nuts about this idea of neural computers?

Am I a neural computer myself? Is there anyone one notch higher up? My architect? Please answer ...
Maybe I first need to finish reading the book.

2 comments:

aniket said...

Umm.....
I beleive that we evolved so I don't think that there is an architect or anything

Muralidhar said...

@Aniket
Why do you think evolution is not a machine attribute? Windows has evolved ever since it was first launched. Likewise, biological evolution is happening. I doubt if anyone knows why it is happening. "survival-of-fittest" etc. are just theories which my neural network might also come up with. It only has to convince fellow neural networks of its theories anyway. (sounds childish - worth a thought(whose thought??)) :))
So why not?